Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Spending Local: When it Works and When it Doesnt

I am typing this post (at least the first part of it) from a place I rarely come: Starbucks. Being an enthusiastic supporter of local business, the neighborhood coffee shop is the cornerstone of those habits. Before moving to Raleigh I knew of three good quality local coffee shops that could give me a comfortable atmosphere to relax and caffeinate in the morning. Although I have yet to find the exact atmosphere I'm searching for I have found a couple of coffee shops that live up to my standards since moving.

So why, if I've found multiple coffee shops, am I typing this from Starbucks? Simple- they are the only ones open before 6. On a fairly regular basis I find myself between working hours. From 6am to 8am I need to find a place to get some caffeine and browse my nook. I have come to discover that in Raleigh (very differently from DC) no one is awake at 6am and most coffee shops wait until 7 just to open. So here Starbucks fills a need with a grande triple-shot white chocolate skim mocha at 5:45am.

This Starbucks experience can be generalized to other missed "shop local" opportunities. The reality is that I'm the only one here for opening and even in the first hour few straggle in. Local business can't afford to staff these hours because they don't get enough out of it. I would be willing to pay a little extra for local coffee, but it's just not available.

So when do you find yourself opting for the corporate store over the local one?

0 comments :

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2013 The Mommy Whisperer
Unless otherwise noted all images are used under creative commons